Guidelines for Your Visit
- Maximum group size is 125 total people (students, teachers and chaperones combined) broken into 4-5 smaller groups.
- Large groups should be divided into smaller units of students as advised by the site during the reservation process. Please have your groups divided prior to arrival to save time for your tour.
- Groups larger than 125 will need to schedule separate visits on separate days or coordinate with Pettigrew State Park to handle some of the students on a rotating basis.
- Please wait until the conclusion of your visit for gift shop sales. Due to the small sales area, we allow only 10 students and at least one chaperone at one time in the gift shop area. Please line students up outside the front door, with a chaperone keeping count.
- There should be no consumption of food, chewing gum or drink in the Visitors Center or in any of the historic buildings.
- Discipline of the group is the responsibility of the teacher(s) and chaperones. We recommend at least one adult chaperone for every 10 students.
- If your group is going to be more than 10-15 minutes late, please call the site. Your scheduled time is reserved for your class. Depending on whether there are other classes scheduled that day, your program may be scaled back in order to fit your time slot. We will not disrupt another class's scheduled time for late arrivals.
- Parts of the tour and exhibits will be outside. Have your students dress appropriately for the weather. Comfortable shoes are a must.
- March, April and May are the months that most school group visits occur. Schedule early if you wish to visit during this time. For a more relaxed and enjoyable visit, you may want to schedule your field trip in the fall when it is not so busy.
Supplemental Lesson Plans
Return to top of page
Return to the Somerset Place home page