On-Site Educational Activities
Every effort will be made to satisfy your requests. However, staff reserves the right to alter planned programming due to inclement weather or unanticipated staff shortages.
- The Dawn of Peace Orientation Program – Students will view the audio-visual program which explains the events leading up to the surrender at the Bennett farm and the story of the surrender itself. This provides an excellent background for understanding the significance of the events that took place here in April 1865. (17 minutes)
- Exhibits – Inside the Visitors Center, students will see exhibits about the Bennett family, the home front and the surrender at the Bennett farm. (20 minutes)
- Bennett Farm Tour – Students will walk the original Hillsborough Road to the Bennett farm following the path that General Johnston took on April 17, 1865. Entering through the homestead gate, groups of 20 will enter James Bennett’s modest home and learn of the events that took place there at the end of the Civil War. They will also see the two outbuildings on this yeoman-class farm, a detached kitchen and the smokehouse. (30 minutes)
- Choice of one optional activity: (30 minutes)
- A Civil War Soldier’s Life – A costumed interpreter will discuss uniforms of Civil War soldiers, both northern and southern, as well as the equipment that each soldier had to carry to survive. Students will form and drill as a company of soldiers. Students will be taught to march, drill and learn the routines of a soldier's life. Students will also learn some of the motivations of both northern and southern soldiers for fighting. This activity culminates with a black powder weapon demonstration if requested.
- On the Home Front – A 19th century costumed interpreter will introduce students to the way many people lived in the piedmont Carolinas during the Civil War. Hands-on activities include household chores, farming, leisure pursuits, writing letters to sons and fathers off at war, and other facets of the home front.
- Walking Trail – (self-guided, optional) A nature trail through the woods adjacent to the farm is available for your enjoyment. (15 minutes)
Supplemental Lesson Plan
Return to top of page
Return to the Bennett Place home page